Monday 31 March 2014

NPS Round 1 - Codham Park in Sunny Essex

Long weekend away with Andre Pucci & the Mountain Trax - Vauxhall Motors Cycling Team at British Cycling XC Series. First up was my Dad's Open race on the Saturday, He had 3 laps to complete and finished a very respectable 6th in his 2nd ever National. This gave me a bit of time to do a lap of the course I would be riding. The Course looked good with a few short lung busters and some very fun pump tracks and drop offs. The course did suit my style, I was still unsure wether the Elites would be doing 6 or 7 laps. I knew if it was 7 it would be a very long race, turned out it was 7 laps for us Elites. Race was off at 1pm with a packed Elite Field of nearly 70 riders with a big foreign showing. My Aim after seeing the start list was a top 20 would be good but a top 15 would be realistic and achievable. The race started pretty quick with the front boys already gone after 5mins but I was in a good place 15th or higher after lap 1. I Had burnt to many candles on lap 1 and suffered on lap 2 and 3 with riders passing me. Lap 4/5 I had got into a group with Nick Craig and the Batchelor brothers and believe I wouldn't have lost contact with this group if I wouldn't have had the misfortune I did in the feed zone. Coming into the feed zone I ended up being boxed in by a Junior rider and lost contact with the group. I continued to ride at a good pace and started to catch riders on lap 6/7 that had passed me in the middle of the race. I passed my team manager Ben Thomas on Lap 7 being the first rider home from my team. I ended in a sprint finish with John Hopkinson of Torq but he pipped me by the smallest margin. Shame really as I would have won £35 back from the race as theres prize money for top 15 elites. Awesome weekend all in all and cant wait for R2 in Redruth Cornwall.

Here is a link to the race results -http://www.timelaps.co.uk/assets/uploads/EVENTREPORT.aspx?eventid=281CodhamPark30%2F03%2F2014#Elite Male

Below is a video of a post race interview with Team Manager Ben Thomas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeBgVTVycOQ


Massive Thanks to my Sponsor - Mountain Trax/Vauxhall motors cycling team




Also a huge thanks to Strada Handbuilt wheels for my carbon race wheels.



No comments:

Post a Comment