Tuesday 15 August 2017

Brighton Big Dog - Male Team of 3 Win

Saturday the 12th of August saw the Brighton big dog 6 Hour race held at Stanmer Park which is open to solo, pairs or a team of  3. Me, Darren Rawlings & Oliver Richardson teamed up to race the male team of 3. We arrived nice and early for a practice lap but didn't really know our competition, the course was a little greasy after some overnight rain and the exposed roots were deadly. I opted tyre wise for a race king protection on the rear and a X King protection on the front for a shoulder to lean on down the descents. I persuaded Ollie to let me do the first lap as I was hoping to get the fastest lap of the day but it just wasn't to be with Elite rider Richard Jones putting a decent amount of time into me. I could see him on the fireroads but just couldn't bridge the gap. After coming in 2nd place after the first lap I knew we had a good chance of getting a really good result. Richard Jones was in the mixed Pairs race so I knew it wasn't to much of an issue that I couldn't quite hold his wheel lap 1. I passed over to Ollie who put in such a flyer of a lap that Darren wasn't even in the pits ready to take over 😂🙈. I got ready to go out but by that time Darren had made his way back and headed out on his first lap. Darren came back in good time with us having a good lead on 2nd place already. I headed out on my 2 lap which was much dryer than the first and was getting to know the course and descents much better lap by lap keeping all 4 of my lap times within 15 seconds of each other. I was really happy with how consistent the lap times were and it showed me that the training id been setting myself was paying off. We grew the lead over 2nd place lap by lap and the cutoff was close with myself nearly having to go out for a 5th lap with Ollie coming in with just 2 mins short of the realistic target of 29minutes to 6pm. We ended up finishing 23 minutes ahead of 2nd place which was a comfortable lead but we never let up until the line as anything could have happened. We enjoyed the podium as you can see from the pictures below. What a great day out with great people on great trails. A massive thanks to Darren at Strada wheels for the Easy up making things easy &  looking pro, building me some wheels for the race weapon, Continental for the sweet rubber keeping me upright and Aivee For the hubs keeping me rolling 👍🏼. Top job by both team riders to get the job done. Below are a few piks and the results sheet. Next up for me is the Torq 12:12 team of 4 event on the August bank holiday weekens. See you there 


No comments:

Post a Comment