Wednesday 6 August 2014

National XC Championships - Hopton Woods

Sunday the 20th of July saw a long weekend racing the U23 National XC mtb champs at a hilly hopton woods. I knew the course after a cheeky preview with the Mountain Trax - Vauxhall motors cycling team a few weeks back so didn't head to venue the Saturday before the race to cover my bike in mud. I pre rode the course in morning and there was some real slippy twisty descents after the storm on friday evening. 

The 3.15 late start allowed to get a practice lap in with plenty of time to spare, I was gridded 3rd which was always good. Off the start it was initially Mike Thompson of Hope leading the charge with Kenta Gallagher on his wheel followed by me Iain Paton and Steven James. As Kenta went to the front I slotted into 2nd and was there for lap 1 and knew It was going to be a tough race climbing the start hill 6 times. I had a huge crash lap 2 on the first descent getting my line completely wrong going straight on when the trail went right and taking a few tree branches with me. I got up thinking that was my race over after losing a good 40seconds after getting my brakes readjusted and my head back in the game. After the crash I was sitting in 7th position with team mate Sam Stean on my wheel. I soon worked myself away from Sam and back through a few riders. I ended up getting a podium after Iain breaking his shifter and Kentas legs going bang.

Happy to have finished 3rd but after last years 2nd I was expecting a little more but there was far more competition this year than last year.

1. Steve James
2. Mike Thompson
3. Myself
4. Sam Stean

Huge thanks to Andre Pucci for feeding and everything over the weekend, along with John newport and the Team.





Below are the results from Pearce Cycles

http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/files/ncxc14_hopton_20072014_race_4.pdf

Below are a couple of photos from the race




Next Race for myself is the Brighton Big Dog Team of 3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment