Wednesday 27 November 2013

Merida Brass Monkeys R1 at Minley Manor - 24th of November

Sunday the 24th of November saw the 1st Round of the Merida Brass Monkeys Enduro series held around the Deepcut area. This year Gorrick have had real trouble securing venues, R1 was originally supposed to be at Tunnel hill and after a few days here and there improving the trails we were very disappointed to hear it was being moved to Minley Manor. Minley is an awesome venue but In my opinion Tunnel has much more to offer and its more local for me and also I know the trails like the back of my hand as I ride there a good 2 times a week. Not to worry as R4 is at Tunnel (well might be, hopefully). R2 of the Series was advertised as Frith Hill and 3 weeks Prior to the event it has been changed to Caesars camp which is an awesome venue with some good climbs for this area. This will make for an awesome race but will be very tough as I think it will still be 4 laps unless the laps are super long and over 40minutes for the 2hr lads. Onto Round 1's Report

The Course at Minley was just under 7 miles and was told I would be lapping at 30minutes and this prediction was bang on with my average lap time being 30.32. There were a few muddy patches on the Fireroads but all the trails were running sweet as ;). The 2hr race kicked off at 11.30 with temperatures quite high for this time of year at around 7/8degrees C. So it was 3/4 tights, base layer, Jersey & Buff for me. Ive been used to riding round with 2 pairs of gloves lately which isin't the best trying to feel at one with your bike. I ended up faffing around and missing the first row for the start so was at the side but was told we have to go inbetween the banners. This meant for a terrible start sitting in around 30th position at first before powering my way to the front into the 2nd bit of singletrack after a short little climb where I made up a fair few places. I got to the front of the race which was Pedal Heavens Jamie Newall leading the charge. He set a good pace through the field and myself and Jamie got a gap almost instantly. Once the gap was established we started to settle into a rhythm and have a bit of a chat about next season and Nationals etc. Around 1/2 way through the first lap I injected a little pace up a short rise and got a gap, I waited for Jamie but wasn't willing to wait any longer so I was on my own for the rest of the race. I put an effort in Lap 2 to establish my lead even more to a comfortable gap then take a breather and go again. The breather never really happened so just kept riding round at a pretty quick pace. I ended up finishing just under 8 minutes ahead of 2nd place James Williams of Cycletech and Jamie dropped back to 3rd 8mins 19seconds back.

Results avaliable via the link - http://timelaps.co.uk/assets/uploads/EVENTREPORT.aspx?eventid=270MinleyManor24/11/2013#2Hr Male

Few Pictures Below - 


A big thanks to both my Sponsors Strada Wheels and Mt Zoom for all there support and products to help me do the job.

Check out there sites below 

http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/



http://mtzoom.com/





Also a thanks to John Newport at Mountain Trax for doing my Bottles.

See you at R2 on the 15th of December at Caesars Camp :). Happy Training

No comments:

Post a Comment