Wednesday 21 August 2013

Brighton Big Dog 2013 - 1st Mixed 3 & Fastest Lap :)

The 2013 Brighton Big Dog took place at the usual epic venue " Stanmer Park" on the 10th of August. One of my sponsors Strada Wheels sponsor this race as it's there local event and wanted me to ride and I am so glad I did as the course was epic. I travelled down to Felpham near Worthing where Darren Stradas wheelbuilder lives and he sorted me out with his spare room for friday night before Saturdays race which was luxury compared to what I am used to before racing.

Team Strada arrived Saturday morning to be greeted by Sunny weather and awesome dry Singletrack. I was racing the event as a Mixed Team with Chris Dobson a master riding for Hargroves cycles and Jo Munden National Masters champion so I was confident we had a good team. The Strada boys were racing as a Male team of 3 and were going very well with Darren smashing out some good lap times after only 3 months of solid training and contributing to a solid 6th position finish. I was hoping they would finish in the top 5 as Darren Said if they get a top 5 heel shave his legs haha.

Onto my race the Mixed 3, We decided it would be best if I went of first as there would be a clearer run with less traffic. Ian Leitch was on the start giving some race commentary before the race saying who he thought was in with a shot at each of the titles and I did get a little mention for the fastest lap. It was made clear to me by Darren that he wanted me to get the fastest lap and I never like to dissapoint anybody especially a Sponsor!. The race was on with Ex Pro & Olympic silver medalist Dave Hemmings leading the charge shortly before Richard Mardle of Felt Colbornes Rt came to the front. I followed Richard through the 1st bit of singletrack before the "chalky cliff of hell"where I rode away from the group with only Ben Thomas trying to pull back later in the lap on a draggy climb. Ben was going at some pace as he was doing the Solo 6hrs. I continued to ride hard for the rest of the lap and got my team into a great position after the first lap. I was passing over to Chris Dobson who I believed could hold the lead for the lap quite comfortably. After Chris came back it was National Champion Jo's turn out on the course and she didnt dissapoint either with our lead growing lap by lap over 4Forth lights who finished 2nd.

The course out there was awesome at just under 6 miles which is shorter than in previous years but had some wicked singletrack and some lung busting climbs thrown in for good measure. We all continued to ride hard stretching out the lead further and further each lap and were praying no problems were to come our way. It was our race winning by nearly a lap, we all hung around chatting and refuelling waiting for the Podium presentation. We all got up on the Podium and celebrated with our prizes beneath us which included an Exposure Joystick, Lezyne Pump, Vredestein Sealent, Exposure Flare and more!

What a great event put on by all the Morvelo guys and girls, will definately be returning next year to ride what I believe to be the best course of the season.

Big Thanks to my Sponsors for the Bike, Nutrition and the Kit to do the Job!

www.awcycles.co.uk


Big Thanks to the Guys at Strada Handbuilt Wheels for the whole weekend including a lovely roast dinner at Darrens inlaws :)


No comments:

Post a Comment